Apartment markets continued to expand in the second quarter of 2014, as growth accelerated in all four indexes in the National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC) Quarterly Survey of Apartment Market Conditions. Market tightness, sales volume, equity financing and debt financing indexes all improved from the first quarter this year and marked the second quarter in a row with all above break-even.
Here are the top survey results for each of the six questions.
- 51%- Sales of apartment buildings are about the same
- 50% - Vacancies are lower and rents are going up more
- 56% - Financing is about the same as three months ago
- 52% - Mortgage borrowing is about the same with 37% saying now is a better time to borrow
- 39% - In the last six months, the urban share of new development has increased compared to suburban (25% said more suburban and 28% said it had stayed the same)
- 48% - There are more town center “urban suburban” style developments.