Among other things Cisneros said:
- Stick with apartments. They are a great investment. More than 70 percent of pension fund managers rank it as the highest return sector in real estate.
- Follow the institutions. For example, right now, many of the private funds he's talking to are looking to target student housing or university-adjacent housing.
- Demographics, particularly the Latino population, which will account for 50 percent of the population growth between now and 2030, will dictate different types of homes. Families, particularly those that are younger and larger, will outnumber the more nuclear, older families the industry is used to seeing.
- Energy efficiency is vital to acquisitive and development strategies today and must be approached as an necesssary investment.
- There is no better time to act than now. "For the past two years, we've heard that whoever would be standing at the end of the downturn would be well-positioned to move forward. That time has come. Builders: It's time to build. Buyers: It's time to buy. Investors: It's time to invest."
Read more on the conference, where optimism abounded this year, online at Multifamily Executive.