Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fire Prevention in Rentals A Hot Topic of Discussion

Concern over the frequency of fires in rental units and the impact on tenants' lives led to the Vancouver-Clark County Fire Department holding a workshop on fire prevention in rentals. 

Most common causes of tenant fires are related to tenant carelessness such as (a) stove burners left on (b) smoking (c) candles. 

At the very least, rental owners can require that tenants carry renters' insurance. They can also ban smoking in units.